Monday, July 22, 2013

Pacific Rim



  I loved Godzilla, Gamera, King Kong, and giant monster movies as far back as I can remember. So when I heard that Guillermo Del Toro (one of my favorite film makers) was making a movie about Kaiju (Japanese for giant monster) fighting giant robots, I was in. 

The unfortunate thing about this film was that it was financially unsuccessful. I might dare to say, that it was my favorite film so far this year so it pains me to see it fail at the box office. However, this was not fault of the film makers, only the studio for doing poor marketing. 

Anyway, what I loved about the film....Kind of a big topic. In every other Kaiju film I've seen, the acting as not been so good. Not only were the actors great in this film, but their characters were actually relevant to the story. The special effects were amazing. Del Toro always puts in 120% into making sure his creatures are the most detailed things you will ever see. Each Kaiju was unique, yet paid homage to another monster from other films. The giant robots were done very well. The were just as big as these enormous creatures, and were made to look (for lack of a better word) realistic as possible. The way that they moved with their engines just made sense. 

 I really believe this a movie that the whole family can enjoy. There is little to no cussing, and all of the violence is between giant monsters and robots. The only human violence was a martial arts fight scene and a short fist fight.This film is great for anyone that loves Kaiju films, or anyone that just wants to see a great sci-fi action film.

Film Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment